Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Raccoons Come a Visiting

Well, I have been too busy gardening to update this blog, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on my backyard habitat.

Why are people so quick to want to give Mother Nature the boot? When I (rarely) tell people about the raccoons that have taken up residence beneath our porch, most people immediately leap to fear and disgust and worry about them getting into our house and wreaking havoc. While I don't go out of my way to make friends with the raccoons (I am not deliberately feeding them or trying to pet them, for instance), in reality, most wildlife can live quite peacefully with humans if we would just leave them alone.

This cute little visitor came to our window to peer in, but that's all he was doing. We had a nest of these last year too and they were no trouble at all. They are beneath the concrete porch and other than digging a hole to get under there, they are doing no harm at all. My kitty is none too sure she likes them, but heck, that's why she stays indoors!





Come on, how can you resist those faces???

No comments: